Friday, May 27, 2005

Why I Love Atheists

As an ambassador, say, for Ireland to the UN or whatever, I would most likely feel-hey, maybe just a little pressure, that is if I love my country at all, if I truly believe in my country, I feel I gotta make the country look frickin goood! I mean, come one, thats just obvious. If I really have known and loved my couintry, I'm gonna make it real to you. You're gonnna be in your little UN desk thingy representin' your country, and listening to me talk about Ireland...you're gonna say, "Damn, I wanna live in Ireland." Your gonna think "This girl loves her country- this is truly a great country. We need to work to make all countries as great as this one." Oh, and you won't just think that you'll feel it, you'll feel my passion and love flowing through my veins and out into my words and throught the microphone wiring, caught in the spark of the translators awe-striken words, and into your little earpiece. Is it not true that if I love my country, such a graat love would be apprehended by those listening and observing? Similarly, I hold, that if I declare myself to be a Christian and the observer sees a mere shadow: a man of empty words and hollow eyes, then observor is more justified in declaring God is dead, than a believer wouldin some cases, did not know or possess a love for God in the first place. This may lead the observer to the conclusion that God is dead, never was at all, or that religion is a complex fraud. But, I put forth, that the "Christian" has perhaps never known that which he claims to represent. The point of this being: I love atheists. Why? They are usually logical people who think and observe. And people who think always find the truth.

"Believers frequently bear responsibility for atheism. For, taken as a whole, atheism stems from a variety of causes, including a critical reaction against particular religious beliefs, and in some places against the Christian religion in particular. Hence believers have more than a little to do with the birth of atheism. To the extent that they neglect their own training in the faith, or are deficient in their religious, moral or social life, they must be said to conceal the face of God and religion." Gaudium Et Spes

SM 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home