Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The Logic Box

"I do not feel any contempt for an atheist, who is often a man limited and constrained by his own logic to a very sad simplification."


-Chesterton


Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Not that he's saying that atheists are neccesarily sad people, but that their state is reductionary, i.e. reality is confined to the box of reason. Reality, it seems for one, is constrained to logic. And although I believe A is A, that reality is what is, I don't believe we are always capable of arriving at an imminent, dynamic comprehension of reality by the use of reason alone. If a God such as the Church or Christianity hold to exist did exist qua infinite being, there is simply no way that he, as such would "fit" into a logical, rational definition, as the defintion is essentialy, qua definition, bound up in finitude. Reason is capable of simply "pointing to" reality. It could never encapsulate God accurately if he were to exist as "infinite." The word infinite in itself is right at this moment merely "pointing to" a shadow of comprehension of what the word is supposed to mean. And that is even the word/divine aspect as yet undefined!


God cannot be constrained to his definition, only "pointed to" by it.

Logic is a useful science for people who find it important to define and classify and universalize and generalize reality. I don't really see the point of compartmentalizing the cosmos, or compartmentalizing God. He is one. Division and disunity and dischord result from a full lacking of a unified one, so why do we atempt to seperate and divide him in mental categorical definitions?



11 Comments:

Blogger Velvet said...

LOL I know, kiddo... I don't neccesarily post these things to make u mad, lol, its just that I found it interesting that these generalizations do not include you, primarily. Just interesting. Remember I don't neccesarily consistantly agree with everything I post, even my own ideas...HAHA!

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

I don't find these to be true of you, and you are the only atheist I know.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

I am taking these down, as I actually posted them without reading them and I just realized I don't like them at all, LOL...

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

nah... i disagree with them too much to leave them up... "mad" wrong word... u diden't seem mad...

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 2:28:00 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

I completely disagree. LOL. I don't think reality can fit into the logic box. lol ;)

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 2:37:00 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

Your last paragraph is most definetely debatable. Contradictions=fantasy-realm you say? Dunno 'bout that mister. ;) lol

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

Holly, please don't be mad about this post, LOL. Its ok to like Logic and syllogisms, I just don't, lol. 1 + 1 always equals 2 in concept, but is that always how reality is? Anyways, I don't really know anything about all this, I'm just streaming.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 3:33:00 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

haha! true, but i'm saying life doesn't work like that...life is not like a logical, formulaic equation.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 5:07:00 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

Logic is our abstract principles of the very CHARACTER and NATURE of Reality and Existence itself.

I would agree, accept I think Logic is an ATTEMPT to contain in a principle the nature of reality. Which is why I don't see the point in trying, because I think that is impossible.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 2:20:00 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

I never said I don't think we should attempt it, but that it can't be taken too far or CLAIM that it contain reality within words or definitions. It is arrogance in the science of Logic to claim that it can encapsulate reality.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 6:59:00 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

What I meant by not seeing the point is merely that I see the fruitlessness of putting Logic on a pedestal, of giving it too much credit.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 7:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home