Sunday, August 07, 2005

Anorexia, Becoming Chaste, and Germany (in no particular order)

Aaaah! I just realized! I am leaving for Rome in 3 days and I haven't even started packing yet! Oh well, no reason to start stressing out at this point in my life, since I've never stressed about anything before. So, hhmmm, [goin' with Saint Vincent's BOLD youth group] so many things to pack so little time. I gotta bring things to trade with the other million point one Catholic youth who will also be goin' to Cologne, Germany to see the Papa... the new papa. This will be bittersweet. John Paul chose Cologne because the cathedral there houses the relics of the three Magi. In this, symbolically, we also journey to encounter Christ as we also come from the corners of the world to find Him. So, off topic for a sec, some people naturally possess certain virtues. Some are naturally patient for one example and have no inclination to not be so. I thought I read somewhere, perhaps in some spiritual book, that chastity is the virtue natural to eunuchs...oh wait- no- toNONE. I used to think I was a very chaste person and that I had attained this virtue. But then I realized, over time, that I simply had never had my state of purity challenged. Without the oppurtunity to commit the impure acts, one can never fully say "I am chaste" because your free will has never fully been engaged without two full options before you. It would be like saying: I have such a resilient and wonderful immune system because i have never caught (whats-it-called-the African-fly-bite-caused-sickness?is it-)Malaria, when I have never even been exposed to it. I never been to Africa for crying outloud. So, most Catholics I know who are "chaste" are merely hiding from this disease carrying bug, or hiding from the oppurtunities of unchastity. Christopher West described this kind of scenario in almost Jim-Carry-esque style, when I heard his talk "Falling in Love Everyday: Pope John Paul II's Theology of the Body and His Case for Marraige." (that's a handful tah type). He put it this way: "When I was a teenager my parents did a real damn good job of giving me TWO options... NOTHING at all...or...the DUMPSTER...and they also did a real good job of saying DUMPSTER BAD DUMPSTER BAD DUMPSTER BAD! But when you're starving, THE DUMPTER LOOKS REALLY GOOD! So I opted for the dumpster."
This is what I am deciding to call "Anorexic Chastity." Its when you have it only by avoidance. Its a disease of thinking. We really need to have a healthy understanding of chastity. Are we the "chaste" Catholic who runs away from food or do we see the food spread out on the table and take only that food which is healthy for the soul? Anyways, I'll stop boring ya'll for now. Peace!
post scriptum I DON'T MEAN WE SHOULD ALL GO OUT LOOKING TO CATCH MALARIA hehe, but if you gotta go to Africa, do so, and don't go ill-prepared...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one that I can relate to! I'd like to think that I have been blessed with the virtue of chastity, but I'd just be lying to myself... I guess I was 12 years old when the immoral skanky rednecks around me started having sex… and the gossip was all over the school and so of course I was curious about it, and thought about it (being the naughty Catholic boy that I was) but of course I never had the chance back then… Then when I got to high school my curiosity was in high gear (as well as my hormones) but I was… oh how do I say this nicely… unattractive! So I didn’t really have the option…(and even if I did, I doubt I would have taken it considering my non-existent self esteem.) But when I got to be 17 – 20 and I was partying pretty much EVERY NIGHT… I did meet some women who had probably never ever heard of abstinence…who loved my “Life of the party” persona and well I could have taken them up on their “Offer”… but by this point I was starting to like the fact that I hadn’t had sex, and that I didn’t have to worry about getting tested for diseases or getting frightening phone calls from ex-partners who either said they were late or afflicted with some disease… And I had really started to get back into the church at this point as well, and so I made the decision, and I am honestly completely happy with it… So even though I wasn’t chaste by choice, I stayed that way until I was ready to do so… and my resolve is only growing stronger. Amazingly my friends, who wouldn’t ever seriously consider abstinence, have been surprisingly supportive and haven’t made any disparaging comments… that I am aware of.. ANYWAY, yeah! Hooray for chastity!

I think that by living your life in accordance with church teachings, you've been blessed with chastity, already... I don't necessarily think that you would have to be faced with the situation... because by purposely avoiding those situations, you have then made the actual decision to be chaste. Does that make sense? Maybe this will help..

A Peaceful person is still peaceful, even if they avoid the diplomatic process for peace and simply bypass the conflict all together...

Nope, don't think that helped... Well It's almost 3, and I have to get up at 8.. so Goodnight

Monday, August 08, 2005 2:33:00 AM  
Blogger Velvet said...

if one is naturally peaceful or patient i would think it was more a personality trait then a virtue

Monday, August 08, 2005 2:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home